Preparation Time: 35 minutes plus time to stand coking
Cooking Time: 1 and 1/4 hours
Serves: 4 to 6
Ingredients for the Pastry
- 200g plain flour pinch salt
- 90g butter or margarine or other pastry fat
- water or milk to bind.
Ingredients for the Filling
- 1 green pepper, deseeded
- 1 red pepper, deseeded
- 25g butter or margarine
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 100g button mushrooms, sliced
- 4 large eggs or 2 eggs and 3 egg yolks
- 1300mg single cream or half milk and half cream
- 100g Cheddar cheese
- grated salt and pepper
- Sift the flour and salt, rub in the fat and add water or milk to bind; use the latter if freezing the quiche. Chill if possible.
- Roll out and line an 21 to 23 cm flan dish or tin.
- Chill the pastry case and then bake ‘blind’ in the centre of a moderately hot oven, for 15 minutes until just firm in texture but pale in colour.
- Chop half the peppers finely, cut the remaining halves into small thin strips. Heat the butter or margarine and cook the finely chopped part of of the peppers and the onion and mushrooms gently until tender. Spoon into the partially cooked pastry.
- Beat the eggs, or eggs and yolks, add the cream, or milk and cream, cheese and seasoning. Spoon into the pastry case.
- Lower the heat, continue cooking for 1 hour or until the filling is firm. Add a border of the remaining peppers halfway through baking so these stay in position.
Use milk in the pastry – cream in the filling.
The filling can be set in the microwave; follow the manufacturer’s instructions for correct setting.